Snow snow snow. This is an incredible February! Yesterday was another day of a mix of snow, ice, sleet, rain. It makes for difficult walking for sure. Our dog loves the snow. He likes to roll in it, bite at it, jump in it. And the neighbors behind us – their kids and other neighbors kids were sledding down the hill, laughing and carrying on. They love it too!
Suffice to say – all that has nothing to do with today’s project… it’s a box for cards :O) And it has one of the butterflies on it from the Butterfly Bijou 6×6 DSP. I like a sturdy box and a lid that fits, doesn’t wiggle around. Having said this, you will understand both the lid and the base have layers to strengthen them. I also seem to prefer narrow borders, so they are 1/8″, not 1/4″ ~ all to say, card cuts must be precise. Shall we get on with it and take a peek?
This paper – the Butterfly Bijou 6×6 DSP ~ is stunningly beautiful. This particular sheet is the other side of the butterflies that can be die cut with the Butterfly Dies. :O) I kind of hated using this for the background, considering… but I did. You will also notice a Box Lid Shim that I have made so the lid fits snugly. I’ll share info about that later. In the meantime, here’s a side view photo.
You can clearly see in the photo above, the base is also covered…
The finished size of the box base is 4 3/4 x 6 x 1 1/2. With the lid on, just add an additional 1/8″ to each dimension: 4 7/8 x 6 1/8 x 1 5/8. I used Pretty Peacock for the box base for a couple of reasons – it’s a retiring color come May, and I want to use the paper. It still coordinates nicely even though it isn’t listed as one of the colors recommended. For the box lid I used Basic White Thick card stock.
- Cut your card box base to 7 3/4 x 9 and score on all sides at 1 1/2″. Burnish all score lines.
- Trim as shown in photo and add Tear & Tape
HINT: Please notice I cut and trimmed on opposite sides of the box, so the folded ends would support the longer side of the box, giving it more strength. Note, I cut straight up to the score line, then trimmed a wedge from the end portion only and both sides of the end
- Decorate your box with two layers: card stock then DSP. For ease, layer the DSP to the card stock, then to the card box itself.
- card stock layer… 4 5/8 x 1 3/8 (2); 5 7/8 x 1 3/8 (2)
- DSP layer… 4 5/8 x 1 1/4 (2); 5 7/8 x 1 1/4 (2)
- For the box bottom I had the card stock and DSP the same length
- Adhere these with liquid glue as there is wiggle room to get it straight and even.
- It’s much easier to decorate the box when it’s flat.
- Remove the Tear & Tape covers and fold in ends.
- Decorate the inside if you so desire – and I did… slightly less than 4 3/4 x 6
- Cut Basic White Thick card stock 6 3/4 x 8. Notice this is exactly one inch small than the box base cuts.
- Score using the Box Lid Shim @ 1″ on all sides.
- The Box Lid Shim allows the lid to fit snugly with just a hint of allowance. If not using the shim, the lid will be too snug and the sides of the base bottom will dip in. Find directions for the Box Lid Shim on a Connie Stewart video from some time ago. It is made from Window Sheet, scored and card stock folded over one side for perfect spacing.
- Burnish all score lines, cut & trim the same as for the box bottom. Add Tear & Tape
- Decorate the box top: card stock 5 7/8 x 4 3/8; DSP 5 3/4 x 4 1/2. Adhere these two together with liquid glue, then add to the top of the box.
- Decorate the sides:
- Card stock layer 5 7/8 x 7/8 (2); 4 5/8 x 7/7 (2)
- DSP layer 5 3/4 x 3/4 (2); 4 3/4 x 3/4
- Adhere DSP onto card stock with liquid glue, then to box sides, also with liquid glue
- Remove covers on Tear & Tape and fold ends in – voila!
Final decoration for the box top… I used three layers of card stock
- Pretty Peacock 3 1/2 x 3 1/4
- Just Jade 3 3/8 x 3 1/8
- Basic White 3 1/4 x 3
- Stamp the sentiment on the Basic White panel, The sentiment comes from the Lovely You stamp set. Adhere butterfly die cut from the Butterfly Bijou 6×6 DSP with the Butterfly Dies, with liquid glue. Add dimensionals under wing tips. Add three small Matte Black Dots to the body and two large Matte Black Dots below the sentiment.
- Adhere the Basic White panel to the Just Jade panel with liquid glue.
- Adhere the Just Jade panel to the Pretty Peacock panel with dimensionals.
- Adhere the Pretty Peacock panel to the center of the box top with liquid glue – and woohoo! Your box is complete and ready to fill.
I love this box! It is just beautiful and it’s sturdy – I hope you like it too. Now, let’s talk about these beautiful papers, coordinating stamp set and dies. As a demonstrator, these items are a preorder for us. The stamp set and dies will be in the next Annual Catalog that will be released May 3. The papers, and there are two of them which you will see in the photo below, will not be sold in the Annual Catalog. This collection will be available to you as a customer Mar 2 – May 3. After that date, only the stamp set & dies will be available. If you would like to JOIN MY TEAM, you could add this collection as part or your joining items 😁 and you can do that here.Now is the perfect time to become a team member of Stampin’ Up! – with your choice of items in your $99 Starter Kit (valued at $125!) you will receive five packs of new 6×6 DSP paper packs – only during Sale-a-bration though!!! Act quickly… JOIN MY Team here. Being a part of the Stampin’ community brings all kinds of fringe benefits ~ early access to new catalogs, guaranteed 20% discount on all Stampin’ Up! products, free tutorials, access to web sites that will encourage and strengthen your abilities. Join now…
Products for todays card are from the new Jan-Jun 2021 Mini Catalog and the 2020-2021 Annual Catalog ~ and those products are available now for purchase. You will find them in the product list below. As a reminder… I’ve made it easy for you to simply ‘add all to cart’. If I can help you in any way to order these items, or others, please give me a holler. As a thank you to my customers, when the order is between $50-$150 I offer a SU! item of your choice valued at $10. Remember to use MY CURRENT HOST CODE WZBPZ7N4- good Feb 4 – Feb 28. When the order is over $150, you still receive that free gift from me, but SU! has Stampin’ Rewards that may be used for additional products, so don’t use the host code at that time. Now is also Sale-a-bration – a time from now through the end of February when Stampin’ Up! offers FREE items with $50 and $100 purchases. Those products are shown below today’s product list as well. Happy shopping!
My computer sometimes gives me fits… and today is one of them. Please see the flyer here.
Products available FREE with $50 purchase during Sale-a-bration – Level 1
Products available FREE with $100 purchase during Sale-a-bration – Level 2
AND if you HOST a party or have products $300 & up, this is FREE during Sale-a-bration… along with the above items as well!
Thanks for stopping by.
May you have a beautiful day.
Make someone happy sending them a handmade project filled with love.